    SubjectRe: Intel 875 Motherboard cant use 4GB of Memory.
    > Wrong. Ever since the Pentium Pro, x86 processors have had 36-bit
    > *physical* addressing. This is why PAE-mode paging was introduced. A
    > sane BIOS would configure the memory controller to remap some of the
    > memory above 4G physical to allow for memory mapped devices. It sounds
    > like this board's BIOS isn't doing that, or at least not reporting it in
    > the e820 map.

    Let me restate the fact that I dont understand how PC hardware works, but
    I can understand how the area for PCI devices has to come out of the
    KERNEL address space, but why does it have to be subtracted from the USER
    address space too?

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:03    [W:0.018 / U:2.812 seconds]