    SubjectRe: [announce] [patch] NX (No eXecute) support for x86, 2.6.7-rc2-bk2

    On Wed, 2 Jun 2004, Ingo Molnar wrote:

    > If the NX feature is supported by the CPU then the patched kernel turns
    > on NX and it will enforce userspace executability constraints such as a
    > no-exec stack and no-exec mmap and data areas. This means less chance
    > for stack overflows and buffer-overflows to cause exploits.

    Just out of interest - how many legacy apps are broken by this? I assume
    it's a non-zero number, but wouldn't mind to be happily surprised.

    And do we have some way of on a per-process basis say "avoid NX because
    this old version of Oracle/flash/whatever-binary-thing doesn't run with
    it"?

    Linus