    SubjectRe: why swap at all?
    On Wed, 02 Jun 2004 01:17:06 +0200, Bernd Eckenfels <ecki-news2004-05@lina.inka.de>  said:

    > Yes but: your wm is so often used/activated it will not get swaped out.
    > But if your mouse passes over mozilla and tries to focus it, then you will
    > feel the pain of a swapped-out x program.

    Yes, I'm quite familiar with what a swapped-out mozilla does to my laptop ;)

    The point I was making (apparently poorly) was that if mozilla is swapping in,
    *that window* is hosed, but if the WM or the X server is swapping in,
    *everything* is hosed.

    And I *have* had times when I've left for an extended period while Mozilla
    is downloading a Knoppix .iso or similar beastly large thing, and it managed
    to keep Mozilla pages hot because it was busy doing a download, and the WM
    pages got swapped out because the WM wasn't actually doing anything...

    Yes, it's a rare state of affairs, but it *has* happened...

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:03    [W:0.020 / U:152.736 seconds]