    SubjectRe: Stop the Linux kernel madness
    Sam Ravnborg wrote:
    > It looks like SuSE as the first distribution took the sane approach to
    > seperate source and output files.

    Splitting source and object directories is indeed sane. But SUSE
    implementation broke the 'build' symlink which has been the recommended way
    for a long time to get to the main kernel Makefile directory.

    > I presume they have documented this somewhere - and I have a patch
    > from Andreas G. that should actually solve this if a module is
    > compiled in the usual way like you do.

    I have asked you n times to refrain from merging the 'build' symlink
    breakage. I ask you again to not merge that breakage.

    Please merge the 'object' symlink version instead.

    > So you seems to be bitten by a distributor starting to use a new
    > facility in kbuild.

    SUSE folks made a silly mistake and broke stuff. It was even more silly for
    them to try to submit that breakage to mainline.

    Jari Ruusu 1024R/3A220F51 5B 4B F9 BB D3 3F 52 E9 DB 1D EB E3 24 0E A9 DD

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:03    [W:0.021 / U:3.912 seconds]