    SubjectRe: Stop the Linux kernel madness
    Pete Zaitcev wrote:
    > Arjan van de Ven <arjanv@redhat.com> wrote:
    > > On Fri, 2004-06-18 at 02:09, 4Front Technologies wrote:
    > > > I am writing this message to bring a huge problem to light. SuSE has been systematically
    > > > forking the linux kernel and shipping all kinds of modifications and still call their
    > > > kernels 2.6.5 (for example).
    > >
    > > internal kernel apis change and are fair game. As a RH kernel maintainer
    > > I can guarantee you that you will suffer too from internal kernel
    > > changes in RH/Fedora kernels. Or from changes within the 2.6.x series.
    > > Linux needs such changes to allow faster and cleaner development.
    >
    > Arjan, I agree with what you're saying, but it looks to me that the 4front
    > guy was complaining about the lack of meaningful EXTRAVERSION. Hard to say
    > for sure when he's raving though...

    Last time I checked, SUSE kernels include " characters in EXTRAVERSION and
    KERNELRELEASE Makefile strings. Those " characters need to be filtered out
    before EXTRAVERSION and KERNELRELEASE strings can be used.

    Just another SUSE sillyness.

    --
    Jari Ruusu 1024R/3A220F51 5B 4B F9 BB D3 3F 52 E9 DB 1D EB E3 24 0E A9 DD