    SubjectRe: Stop the Linux kernel madness
    On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 wrote:

    > On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 13:12:34 PDT, 4Front Technologies said:
    >> We precisely use this mechanism - we use
    >> /lib/modules/<version>/build/include/linux/config.h to figure such features out
    >> but when the "build" part of the path doesn't point to the right source tree,
    >> where do you look?. SuSE ships kernel sources "unconfigured" which means that
    >> you have to rely on something else to tell you what the exact kernel
    >> configuration looks like.
    > Right, but hopefully you can tell it's a SuSE machine via other means, and
    > then apply a suitable workaround.

    the problem with this is that you can have the situation where it's a SuSE
    box with a kernel. I've had significant problems with
    installers for 3rd party software that decided what distro they were
    running on based on what kernel version showed up in uname

    by the way there's useually a *version file in /etc that tells you what
    version of a particular distro you are running on (or at least what it was
    before it got tweaked)

    David Lang

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:03    [W:0.021 / U:33.852 seconds]