SubjectRe: mode data=journal in ext3. Is it safe to use?
Timothy Miller wrote:

> Doesn't Reiser4 do wear-leveling for flash?

No, we don't. We do have wandering logs, so it would be feasible to
code, but bitmap blocks and super blocks get written to the same
locations repeatedly.

Actually, most compact flash devices DO do wear leveling, from what I
have heard.

>>> which were > designed with journaling in mind. And I hope you're
>>> using RAID1 or RAID5.
>>>
>>> We are using ext3 on a compact flash disk in an embedded device. So we
>>> are not using RAID systems.
>>

>> [I'm not subscribed, hopefully this threads]
>>
>> Um, is this a new application or have you done this before?
>>
>> It's my understanding that very few (or no) CF devices do
>> wear-levelling internally.
>> Using a journal, especially a true data journal, seems like *the* way
>> to wear out your
>> flash as quickly as possible.
>>
>> If you've had success using ext2 in read/write mode on flash/CF in a
>> shipping product,
>> I for one would like to know more details!
>>
>> ken
>>

>> -
>> To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe
>> linux-kernel" in
>> Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/
>>

> -
> linux-kernel" in

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:03    [W:0.054 / U:16.208 seconds]