SubjectHow to turn off IPV6 (link local)
On Wed, Jun 16, 2004 at 08:16:31AM +0800, Trent Lloyd wrote:
> Ahh, i see, however you would have to set autoconf to off then *remove*
> the link-local addresses, because they are setup before that variable is
> changed? [or is there an option for this in the kernel? afaik its just
> in proc (sysctl)]

you can set net.ipv6.conf.defaul.autoconf=0 and then up the interface. This
will prevent it from getting any announced prefixes, but it wont prevent it
from getting linklocal prefix.

So my idea is, that autoconf=0 will prevent it from getting linklocal and
advertised adddresses and accept_ra=0 will prevent it from getting announced
prefixes.

> That said, the link-local addresses are *NOT* the issue here, and having
> them will not cause said problems, the problem here is the user has 4
> real world IPv6 addresses configured by a router on his network + user
> configuration (the 6to4 address).

Well, the user does not have them now anymore and Mozilla uses the
link-local. However I agree with you, that it might not help to remove
(prevent autoconfgration) because mozilla still might suceed in AF_INET6
binding and try the connect w/o failback.

> Check out http://www.sixlabs.org/talks/, in my IPv6 programming talk I
> have code showing how to use getaddrinfo() and try each address until
> one suceeds.

There is btw an additional issue with sending AAAA requests on a host which
is not fully configured for ipv6. In fact I think we should disable to
compile ipv6 into the kernel, its so painfull to turn the AF off.

Greetings
Bernd
--
(OO) -- Bernd_Eckenfels@Mörscher_Strasse_8.76185Karlsruhe.de --