SubjectRe: [ANNOUNCE] high-res-timers patches for 2.6.6
Date
On Friday 11 June 2004 15:33, George Anzinger wrote:
> I have been thinking of a major rewrite which would leave this code alone,
> but would introduce an additional list and, of course, overhead for
> high-res timers. This will take some time and be sub optimal, so I wonder
> if it is needed.

What would your goal for the major rewrite be?
Redesign the implementation?
Clean up / re-factor the current design?
Add features?

I've been wondering lately if a significant restructuring of the
implementation could be done. Something bottom's up that enabled changing /
using different time bases without rebooting and coexisted nicely with HPET.

Something along the lines of;
* abstracting the time base's, calibration and computation of the next
interrupt time into a polymorphic interface along with the implementation of
a few of your time bases (ACPI, TSC) as a stand allown patch.
* implement yet another polymorphic interface for the interrupt source used by
the patch, along with a few interrupt sources (PIT, APIC, HPET <-- new )
* Implement a simple RTC-like charactor driver using the above for testing and
integration.
* Finally a patch to integrate the first 3 with the POSIX timers code.

What do you think?

--mgross

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:03    [W:0.112 / U:0.580 seconds]