    SubjectRe: [ANNOUNCE] high-res-timers patches for 2.6.6
    Date
    On Friday 11 June 2004 15:33, George Anzinger wrote:
    > I have been thinking of a major rewrite which would leave this code alone,
    > but would introduce an additional list and, of course, overhead for
    > high-res timers. This will take some time and be sub optimal, so I wonder
    > if it is needed.

    What would your goal for the major rewrite be?
    Redesign the implementation?
    Clean up / re-factor the current design?
    Add features?

    I've been wondering lately if a significant restructuring of the
    implementation could be done. Something bottom's up that enabled changing /
    using different time bases without rebooting and coexisted nicely with HPET.

    Something along the lines of;
    * abstracting the time base's, calibration and computation of the next
    interrupt time into a polymorphic interface along with the implementation of
    a few of your time bases (ACPI, TSC) as a stand allown patch.
    * implement yet another polymorphic interface for the interrupt source used by
    the patch, along with a few interrupt sources (PIT, APIC, HPET <-- new )
    * Implement a simple RTC-like charactor driver using the above for testing and
    integration.
    * Finally a patch to integrate the first 3 with the POSIX timers code.

    What do you think?

    --mgross

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:03    [W:0.030 / U:90.220 seconds]