SubjectRe: upcalls from kernel code to user space daemons
Bernd Petrovitsch wrote:

> work
> > >
> > > You could just as well implement an ordinary read()
> >
> > Not quite. The userspace is passing data down as well. I don't know
> how you'd
> > do that with read().
>
> For this you use write().

And you eat another syscall per userspace call. For the ioctl() case, you only
need to issue a single call to ioctl(). You pass the result of the previous
request down, and then when it returns you get the data for the next request.

Although I have to admit it's not pretty, and the performance improvements may
not be worth the obfuscation of the code.

Chris

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:03    [W:0.090 / U:0.360 seconds]