    SubjectRe: [STACK] >3k call path in reiserfs
    On Thu, 10 June 2004 19:49:04 -0700, Hans Reiser wrote:
    > Jörn Engel wrote:
    >
    > >It appears to me that most developers agree to the two point above,
    > >but you have some problems with them, at least lately. Am i wrong?
    >
    > This is all part of what responsible release management is about. I
    > was the junior whiz kid in professional release management teams before
    > starting Namesys. I listened to my elders and learned from them. My
    > standards for professional conduct in this arena are higher than yours
    > as a result of that.
    >
    > You are a bunch of young kids who lack professional experience in
    > release management. That is ok, but don't get aggressive about it.
    >
    > I have no desire to pay for your mistakes, and as the official
    > maintainer it is my responsibility to ensure that neither I nor the
    > users pay for the mistakes of those who add bugs to stable branches
    > instead of adding them to the development branches where they belong.

    Well, this ain't OpenBSD. They have a strict 6month release schedule,
    so your type of development works just fine for them. Linux has
    something like a very relaxed 24month+ release "schedule", which is
    far too long for some people. As a result, the Linux "stable" kernel
    is a lot less stable than the OpenBSD one.

    But long release cycles also have their advantages and - most
    important - they work with Linus. So effectively, we all have to
    accept them and deal with the consequenses. I really understand and
    partially share your doubts, but what does it help? ;)

    Jörn

    --
    You can't tell where a program is going to spend its time. Bottlenecks
    occur in surprising places, so don't try to second guess and put in a