    SubjectRe: [STACK] >3k call path in reiserfs
    Jörn Engel wrote:

    >On Thu, 10 June 2004 19:49:04 -0700, Hans Reiser wrote:
    >

    >>Jörn Engel wrote:
    >>

    >>>It appears to me that most developers agree to the two point above,
    >>>but you have some problems with them, at least lately. Am i wrong?
    >>>

    >>This is all part of what responsible release management is about. I
    >>was the junior whiz kid in professional release management teams before
    >>starting Namesys. I listened to my elders and learned from them. My
    >>standards for professional conduct in this arena are higher than yours
    >>as a result of that.
    >>
    >>You are a bunch of young kids who lack professional experience in
    >>release management. That is ok, but don't get aggressive about it.
    >>
    >>I have no desire to pay for your mistakes, and as the official
    >>maintainer it is my responsibility to ensure that neither I nor the
    >>users pay for the mistakes of those who add bugs to stable branches
    >>instead of adding them to the development branches where they belong.
    >>

    >Well, this ain't OpenBSD. They have a strict 6month release schedule,
    >so your type of development works just fine for them. Linux has
    >something like a very relaxed 24month+ release "schedule", which is
    >far too long for some people. As a result, the Linux "stable" kernel
    >is a lot less stable than the OpenBSD one.
    >
    >But long release cycles also have their advantages and - most
    >important - they work with Linus. So effectively, we all have to
    >accept them and deal with the consequenses. I really understand and
    >partially share your doubts, but what does it help? ;)
    >
    >Jörn

    Reiser4 is going to obsolete V3 in a few weeks. V3 will be retained for
    compatibility reasons only, as V4 blows it away in performance.

    You are right though that OpenBSD does some things better.

    Hans

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:03    [W:0.048 / U:0.200 seconds]