SubjectRe: ide errors in 7-rc1-mm1 and later
On Wed, Jun 09 2004, Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz wrote:

> [ end of flaming + new technical arguments, please read ]

Super :-)

> > > No, only the messy ones.

> > > Yeah, this the hardest part. I'll see what can be done.

> > > Suggestions were clear, you've chosen to ignore them wishing that
> > > I will correct the patch or that you will push patch upstream anyway.
> >
> > And you seem to think that an IDE maintainers listing provides you with
> > a magical wand that says what goes and doesn't. You might want to check
> > if that hat is fits too tightly. Generally, I'd like folks to help out.
>
> Sure, you don't need my ACK, that's obvious - you need it from Linus/Andrew.

I didn't mean for merge, for 2.4 I quite happily carried it in the SUSE
tree. Of course the goal is getting it merged eventually, but time
restrictions the past months have just not made a whole lot of time
available to get it in such a shape.

> > > Rule is simple "no more crappola in IDE" and I don't care what your
> > > patch does if this rule is violated.
> >
> > I'm really sick of having this debate, it's a complete waste of time.
> > I'm not looking for your approval or anything in that order, and since
>
> I hope that people doing block layer changes won't get the same attitude.

Well I really hope that I wouldn't put them in this position like you
did, so yeah I agree.

> > we don't agree all the points in solving this problem, there's no point
> > in continuing.
>
> I tried to redo IDE part but discovered nasty design problem, more below.

> > > Damn, I showed it few times. You seem to contradict yourself.
> >
> > A few of the points. Your main argument on the pre/post flush business
> > makes zero sense still, and that seems to be the heart of your
> > 'crappola' argument.
> >
> > I already said that I can move the business of queueing post/pre flushes
> > into the block core instead. You seem to the very way of using pre/post
> > flushes to provide barriers, and to that I can only say tough shit.
> > Unless you can pull a rabbit out of your hat and suggest something
> > better, then your 'crappola' argument holds absolutely no grounds
> > whatsoever. The pre/post flush approach has worked successfully, it's
> > been tested extensively, and it works. Your pipe dreams of absolutely no
> > substance need no further comments.
>
> It currently works this way:
>
> pre flush (whole disk cache) + write + post flush (whole disk cache)
>
> This is private to IDE code, higher layers do not know about it.
>
> write + flush (whole disk cache)
>
> Is sufficient because you can failed sector number and see if it belongs
> to your write request. Pre flush can't help you in any way with previous
> requests because they were already ACK-ed to higher layers.
>
> Please correct me if I'm missing something.

There are ordering constraints between the submitted write and
previously submitted writes. If there weren't we could use FUA (provided
it was widely supported, which it appears not to be yet).

> > > Are you trying to trick me into doing your task?
> >
> > I don't know why you keep thinking this is my job to complete this
> > project 100% on my own?! There's a general problem that needs solving,
> > and I would hope that others would be willing to help out where needed.
> > I would encourage people to help out if they care about the issue.
>
> Please note that barrier patches are a new feature not a bugfix as
> you can always disable write cache unless buggy firmware/disk but in
> this case you can't be sure if they don't lie about flushes too.
>
> Yes, thats suck for performance but you can instead get drives which
> expire their caches (most do?) and UPS (they are really cheap nowadays).
>
> ;-)

Heh, I'm not so sure anyone would agree this is a viable alternative :)

> I like the idea of flush barriers but I see more and more problems
> to do it sanely.

Yeah it's tricky...

> > I'm not going to comment further on your mails in this thread, unless
> > they have substantial technical comment. Your 'crap' arguments so far
> > have been largely unsubstantiated, and as such they don't accomplish
> > much except waste time.
>
> OK. I tried to rewrite IDE part and discovered this:
>
> +int ide_end_request (ide_drive_t *drive, int uptodate, int nr_sectors)
> +{
> + struct request *rq;
> + unsigned long flags;
> + int ret = 1;
> +
> + spin_lock_irqsave(&ide_lock, flags);
> + rq = HWGROUP(drive)->rq;
> +
> + if (!nr_sectors)
> + nr_sectors = rq->hard_cur_sectors;
> +
> + if (!blk_barrier_rq(rq))
> + ret = __ide_end_request(drive, rq, uptodate, nr_sectors);
> + else {
>
> It seems that __ide_end_request() and thus end_that_request_first()
> is called only once for the real_rq request - it breaks partial completions
> which are by IDE PIO code (-> it breaks IDE PIO).

There is a bug there it seems, but not the code you paste above. Right
now it just accounts the sectors processed, we need to move the data
pointers too of course.

> I don't see an easy way to fix it because if we do partial completions
> we'll ACK some bios to higher layers before doing flush.

Should be able to do it with you ->cbio additions.

> Fixing IDE not to do partial completions is also not easy
> (I'm doing it slowly).
>
> + struct request *flush_rq = &HWGROUP(drive)->wrq;
> +
> + flush_rq->nr_sectors -= nr_sectors;
> + if (!flush_rq->nr_sectors) {
> + ide_queue_flush_cmd(drive, rq, 1);
> + ret = 0;
> + }
> + }
>
> BTW are you aware of two (minor?) corner cases of the current implementation?
>
> - you can't have journal on a separate device
> (pre and post flushes will only flush device storing journal not data)

You can, but obviously not sending a barrier bio down the pipe since
that has a specific target on its back. You could use
blkdev_issue_flush() instead. But it's not optimal.

> - if you more than > 1 filesystem on the disk (quite likely scenario) it
> can happen that barrier (flush) will fail for sector for file from the
> other fs and later barrier for this other fs will succeed

I don't think so. You are pinning the disk for this operation, so you
know that noone will come in-between your pre/write/post cycle. It can
happen that the flush gets an error for another location on disk,
ide_complete_barrier() needs to see if that sector is in range (and
raport it), then ideally issue a new flush until no errors occur. And
now move on to the barrier.

> [ If you see any mistakes in my comments please correct them.
> I tried to be as accurate as possible. ]

Mail was fine, and great comments! Thanks for looking at this, I hope to
have more time to do so myself really soon.

--
Jens Axboe