    SubjectRe: Question about IDE disk shutdown
    On Tuesday 01 June 2004 17:47, Eric D. Mudama wrote:
    > On Tue, Jun 1 at 17:13, Tvrtko A. Ur?ulin wrote:
    > >According to my hard disk manual, it is absolutely recommended to put the
    > >drive in STANDBY or SLEEP mode before power cut-off because in that way
    > > heads are nicely parked. In that way it is guaranteed to have 300000 head
    > > load/unload cycles minimum, while in other case it is just 20000 cycles.
    > All "modern" drives have plenty of back-EMF to park the heads properly
    > when power fails.

    Yes, but this is a kind of uncontrollable parking with much greater mechanical

    > Remember that even if you are limited to 20,000 power cycles reliably,
    > that's over 5 reboots every day for 10 years, well over the expected
    > lifetime of the drive. (unless you run windows yuk yuk)

    Good point, I missed that. :) Although it would be nice if we could park the
    heads nicely. You never know which premature failure emergency parking can

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:03    [W:0.021 / U:27.544 seconds]