SubjectRe: sys_ioctl export consolidation
On Thu, May 06, 2004 at 01:23:24PM +0200, Jan Beulich wrote:
> Since we noted that sys_ioctl is not currently being exported for ia64
> to be used in the 32-bit emulation routines I'd like to suggest the
> following patch, which, instead of making this available in another
> individual architecture, exports the symbol whenever CONFIG_COMPAT is
> defined (legal users should be a subset of
> [un]register_ioctl32_conversion users, which is scoped by the same
> config option).

Should ioctl32 handlers in drivers really call sys_ioctl? Calling sys_ioctl
makes sense for ioctls that are supported by a broad range of drivers, but
in that case the ioctl32 translation should be in the core compat code.

Drivers using register_ioctl32_conversion should rather call their own
ioctl handlers directly if you ask me.

Do you have a list of drivers currently needing sys_ioctl?

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:02    [W:0.039 / U:1.560 seconds]