SubjectRe: Linux 2.6 crypto API and HW accelerators
On Tue, 4 May 2004, Eugene Surovegin wrote:

> In short, my experience showed that without significant changes in current
> implementation, e.g. adding async crypto, adding hardware crypto is worth only
> for relatively slow CPUs, e.g. less than 1Ghz, and even with slow processor
> overhead can be so big, that short packets are better processed by software
> path.

Yes, have a look at the OpenBSD paper at
http://www.openbsd.org/papers/ocf.pdf

Their results show marked performance improvements for larger packets
(even though the packets are making multiple trips across the PCI bus),
and they suggest batching smaller packets.

- James
--
James Morris
<jmorris@redhat.com>