    SubjectRe: Linux 2.6 crypto API and HW accelerators
    On Tue, 4 May 2004, Eugene Surovegin wrote:

    > In short, my experience showed that without significant changes in current
    > implementation, e.g. adding async crypto, adding hardware crypto is worth only
    > for relatively slow CPUs, e.g. less than 1Ghz, and even with slow processor
    > overhead can be so big, that short packets are better processed by software
    > path.

    Yes, have a look at the OpenBSD paper at

    Their results show marked performance improvements for larger packets
    (even though the packets are making multiple trips across the PCI bus),
    and they suggest batching smaller packets.

    - James
    James Morris

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:02    [W:0.018 / U:58.776 seconds]