    SubjectRe: Linux 2.6 crypto API and HW accelerators
    On Tue, 4 May 2004, Eugene Surovegin wrote:

    > In short, my experience showed that without significant changes in current
    > implementation, e.g. adding async crypto, adding hardware crypto is worth only
    > for relatively slow CPUs, e.g. less than 1Ghz, and even with slow processor
    > overhead can be so big, that short packets are better processed by software
    > path.

    Yes, have a look at the OpenBSD paper at
    http://www.openbsd.org/papers/ocf.pdf

    Their results show marked performance improvements for larger packets
    (even though the packets are making multiple trips across the PCI bus),
    and they suggest batching smaller packets.

    - James
    --
    James Morris
    <jmorris@redhat.com>