SubjectRe: file attributes (ext2/3) in 2.4.26
On Fri, May 21, 2004 at 12:48:09AM +0200, Herbert Poetzl wrote:
> On Thu, May 20, 2004 at 06:59:09PM -0300, Marcelo Tosatti wrote:
> > On Mon, May 17, 2004 at 08:51:41PM +0200, Herbert Poetzl wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi Folks!
> > >
> > > is it intentional that the file attributes
> > > (those accessible with chattr -*) are modifyable
> > > even if a file has the 'i' immutable flag set,
> > > and the user is lacking CAP_IMMUTABLE (or all
> > > CAPs if you prefer that ;)
> > >
> > > # touch /tmp/x
> > > # chattr +iaA /tmp/x
> > >
> > > # lcap -z
> > > # chattr -i /tmp/x
> > > chattr: Operation not permitted while setting flags on /tmp/x
> > >
> > > # chattr -A /tmp/x
> > > # lsattr /tmp/x
> > > ----ia------- /tmp/x
> > >
> > > I'd consider this a bug, but it might be some
> > > strange posix/linux conformance issue too ...
> > >
> > > let me know if this _is_ a bug, if so, I'm
> > > willing to provide patches to fix it ...
> >
> > Hi Herbert,
> >
> > The chattr man page says
> >
> > A file with the `i' attribute cannot be modified: it cannot be deleted
> > or renamed, no link can be created to this file and no data can be
> > written to the file. Only the superuser or a process possessing the
> > CAP_LINUX_IMMUTABLE capability can set or clear this attribute.
> >
> > You still can modify other flags from the file, right?
>
> yep, that is what I consider unexpected behavior, but the
> man page doesn't say anything about other flags ...
>
> in the example above (which should be easy to verify) the
> 'A' (noatime) flag is cleared while 'i' is set and the
> user (root) has no capability at all ...
>
> the same is true for all other attribute flags for
> ext2/ext3, reiserfs and probably other fs implementing
> those attributes.

Hi again Herbert,

I suppose this is expected behaviour, a file with 'i' cannot
be modified, deleted or renamed and no link can be created to this
file and no data written to the file. Its valid to change the file
attributes.

Not sure if any standard covers this, but it does not seem to be
a problem.

I suppose v2.6 behaves the same?

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:03    [W:0.052 / U:0.060 seconds]