SubjectRe: 2.6.x partition breakage and dual booting
On Sun, May 30, 2004 at 02:04:03PM -0400, Jeff Garzik wrote:

> So it seems that the 2.6.x geometry code breaks dual booting, since
> Windows wants "sane" CHS values. See the thread on slashdot, or
> http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2004-May/msg00908.html
>
> Although Fedora Core is current taking grief for this, it's really a
> 2.6.x kernel problem AFAICT.
>
> Has anybody taken the time to hunt down the csets that cause this
> massive partition table breakage? If so, it will save me some time
> tracking this down.

Hi Jeff,

The link you give describes a user space problem.
The fdisk versions that I maintain all work fine - apparently
Fedora Core uses something else to change partition tables,
and that something else makes assumptions that are invalid.
(Maybe it uses parted?)

I can tell you in great detail all about disk geometry,
and the 2.4 situation and the 2.6 situation.

Andries
aeb@cwi.nl

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:03    [W:0.215 / U:0.568 seconds]