    SubjectRe: keyboard problem with 2.6.6
    On Sun, May 30, 2004 at 03:54:45PM +0200, Eduard Bloch wrote:

    > Moin Vojtech!
    >
    > Vojtech Pavlik schrieb am Sonntag, den 30. Mai 2004:
    >
    > > > Vojtech> Of course, unless you create a device that can use it,
    > > > Vojtech> but in that case you can easily write a kernel driver for
    > > > Vojtech> it.
    > > >
    > > > How about the PS/2 mouse port? It's not just for mice. There ARE
    > > > implementations using it for other things: touchpad, touchscreen, etc.
    > >
    > > All simulate a mouse. Some have somewhat extended protocols, but those
    > > protocols are still bound by mouse packet constraints, because the
    > > controllers tend to do nasty things to the data passing through, like
    > > merging input from multiple devices together into one stream by summing
    > > the packets, etc.
    >
    > Who says that merging (as it is currently done) is the best way to do?

    I definitely don't. But many notebooks do that in hardware.
    My point was that it's not always possible to transfer arbitrary data
    over the PS/2 port - it's not a general purpose serial port.

    > For examle, I wish to create two terminals with my system, using two
    > monitors (on dual-head video card), two keyboards and two mices. I can
    > do the first part (X manages it well) but not beeing able to use
    > different input devices for different users simply SUCKS.
    > But http://linuxconsole.sourceforge.net/ lets me hope.

    I wrote most of the input handling in that project. It's what is in 2.6 now.

    --
    Vojtech Pavlik
    SuSE Labs, SuSE CR