SubjectRe: Linux 2.6.7-rc2
Danny ter Haar <> wrote:
>Francois Romieu <> wrote:
>>> Ethernet stopped working (for me) going from 2.6.7-rc1-bk3 to 2.6.7-rc2.
>>> AMD64/asusK8V with onboard ethernet.
>>> 2.6.7-rc1-bk3 worked like intended.

>make menuconfig i cannot get into the submenu
>device drivers ->
> networking support ->
> Gigabit Ethernet (1000/10000 Mbit) --->
>whereas with 10/100 Mbit ethernet i can.
>Little flaw elsewhere!

I remembered other artikel about gig-E problems, so after re-reading
this cured it:
From: walt <>
[1] Gigabit Kconfig problems with yesterday's update
I have one machine with a gigabit NIC which I updated today from Linus'
bk tree.

The problem is that I was not asked if I wanted the 'new' gigabit
support and therefore the tg3 support was dropped from my new .config.

I edited .config by hand and deleted any mention of ethernet support --
and only then did 'make oldconfig' ask me the right questions.

Also: the phrase (10 or 100Mbit) should be deleted from the 'Ethernet'
menu item since it implies (wrongly) that the item is not needed for
gigabit support.

"If Microsoft had been the innovative company that it calls itself, it
would have taken the opportunity to take a radical leap beyond the Mac,
instead of producing a feeble, me-too implementation." - Douglas Adams -