SubjectRe: [Ext2-devel] [CHECKER] warnings in fs/ext3/namei.c (2.4.19) where disk read errors get ignored, causing non-empty dir to be deleted
On Tue, 27 April 2004 01:44:55 -0600, Andreas Dilger wrote:
> Again a conscious decision. If a name is potentially inaccessible because
> of an IO error it is better to allow the creation of a potentially duplicate
> name than refuse creation of any new entries in the directory. It's a matter
> of allowing the filesystem to be used as well as possible in the face of
> failures vs. just giving up and refusing to do anything.

Do you mind if I doubt the sanity of whoever made that decision? When
my hard drive fails, I don't care about writing to the fs too much
anymore, I want to *notice* the failure early and to *read* as much as
possible, then put the drive on a pile for test hardware.

But then again, that's just me.

A surrounded army must be given a way out.
-- Sun Tzu