SubjectRe: ftp.kernel.org
On May 28, 2004  11:01 -0400, Theodore Ts'o wrote:
> On Fri, May 28, 2004 at 02:21:41AM -0400, Chris Shoemaker wrote:
> > > Agreed - fmirror is so much more reliable than rsync (imho) that it makes
> > > rsync into a worst-case option for retrieving files.
> >
> > bug reports to rsync@lists.samba.org are appreciated...
> >

> The main problem with rsync that I can see is that it is fairly heavy
> weight on the server, so many servers (including mirrors.kernel.org)
> have a maximum number of connections set to something pathetically
> small, like say 5 connections.
>
> I remember Tridge trying to get someone to implement checksum caching
> for rsync servers some 4+ years ago, which would surely help. Did
> that ever get done? If so, convincing the server admins that it's OK
> to up the maximum number of rsync connections would be the next step.

Ideally we would move to something like http/ftp-meets-bittorrent for content
replication. Then sites which are popular would have lots of mirrors by
default, and dedicated FTP mirror sites would actually share bandwidth ala
bittorrent instead of just having copies of the same data. If this started
using users' web browser cache as bittorrent mirrors it would be totally
impossible to slashdot a site.

Cheers, Andreas
--
Andreas Dilger