    SubjectRe: ftp.kernel.org
    On Fri, 2004-05-28 09:41:38 +0100, Mark Watts <m.watts@eris.qinetiq.com>
    wrote in message <200405280941.38784.m.watts@eris.qinetiq.com>:
    > > On Thu, 27 May 2004, Martin J. Bligh wrote:
    > > That would explain it. The default is to turn it off.
    > > >Why would you mirror via ftp, instead of rsync anyway?
    > > I have more control with mirror. And I've been using mirror for
    > > *ahem* a decade. I've been using rsync for mirroring debian, but
    > > it's slow and often fails to complete. Mirror has never let me
    > > down ('tho it has deleted entire archives before *grin*)
    > Agreed - fmirror is so much more reliable than rsync (imho) that it makes
    > rsync into a worst-case option for retrieving files.

    Disagree! Mirroring with ftp is possibly quite a waste of bandwidth (at
    least in case partial file transfers etc.), and IIRC you can't reliably
    mirror symlinks (IIRC the "ls"/"dir" output is only ment to be
    human-readable), hardlinks and the like.

    If you see aborts, properly set the timeout parameter...

    MfG, JBG (a happy rsync user)

    --
    Jan-Benedict Glaw jbglaw@lug-owl.de . +49-172-7608481
    "Eine Freie Meinung in einem Freien Kopf | Gegen Zensur | Gegen Krieg

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:03    [W:0.026 / U:60.616 seconds]