SubjectRe: CONFIG_IRQBALANCE for AMD64?
On Fri, 2004-05-28 at 00:36, Thomas Zehetbauer wrote:
> Unfortunately I couldn't find much info on the topic, could you please
> provide some more information? Why is there a kirqd at all?

For people with old distributions that didn't include irqbalanced yet ;)

> What are the differences/advantages/disadvantages between the kirqd and
> the user space implementation?

the userspace implementation implements a more sophisticated algorithm
for balancing irq's (well to be fair, since its in userspace it's easier
to do this so it's not kirqd's failt that it doesn't have that).
While I didn't test kirqd to compare, we did see quite a difference
(order of percents) in a specweb load between a naive algorithm in
kirqbalanced and the current algorithm. Otoh few real life workloads get
as many interrupts as specweb ;)

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:03    [W:0.034 / U:0.256 seconds]