    SubjectRe: CONFIG_IRQBALANCE for AMD64?
    On Fri, 2004-05-28 at 00:36, Thomas Zehetbauer wrote:
    > Unfortunately I couldn't find much info on the topic, could you please
    > provide some more information? Why is there a kirqd at all?

    For people with old distributions that didn't include irqbalanced yet ;)

    > What are the differences/advantages/disadvantages between the kirqd and
    > the user space implementation?

    the userspace implementation implements a more sophisticated algorithm
    for balancing irq's (well to be fair, since its in userspace it's easier
    to do this so it's not kirqd's failt that it doesn't have that).
    While I didn't test kirqd to compare, we did see quite a difference
    (order of percents) in a specweb load between a naive algorithm in
    kirqbalanced and the current algorithm. Otoh few real life workloads get
    as many interrupts as specweb ;)

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:03    [W:0.034 / U:61.264 seconds]