    SubjectRE: why swap at all?
    Date
    I have no bug to report.

    -----Original Message-----
    From: Denis Vlasenko [mailto:vda@port.imtp.ilyichevsk.odessa.ua]
    Sent: Wednesday, May 26, 2004 3:45 AM
    To: Buddy Lumpkin; 'William Lee Irwin III'
    Cc: orders@nodivisions.com; linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org
    Subject: RE: why swap at all?

    On Wednesday 26 May 2004 11:30, Buddy Lumpkin wrote:
    > As for your short, two sentence comment below, let me save you the energy
    > of insinuations and translate your message the way I read it:

    > I don't recognize your name, therefore you can't possibly have a valuable
    > opinion on the direction VM system development should go. I doubt you have
    > an actual performance problem to share, but if you do, please share it and
    > go away so that we can work on solving the problem.

    He was asking for proper bugreport.

    Preparing bug report:
    =====================
    How To Ask Questions The Smart Way:
    Anybody who has written software for public use will
    probably have received at least one bad bug report.
    Reports that say nothing ("It doesn't work!");
    reports that make no sense; reports that don't give
    enough information; reports that give wrong information.
    How to Report Bugs Effectively:
    Before asking a technical question by email, or in
    a newsgroup, or on a website chat board, do the following:
    * Try to find an answer by searching the Web.
    * Try to find an answer by reading the manual.
    * Try to find an answer by reading a FAQ.
    * Try to find an answer by inspection or experimentation.
    * Try to find an answer by reading the source code.
    Compile problems: report GCC output and result of
    "grep '^CONFIG_' .config"
    Oops: decode it with ksymoops (or use 2.6 with kksymoops enabled ;).
    Unkillable process: Alt-SysRq-T and ksymoops relevant part.
    Yes it means you should have ksymoops installed and tested,
    which is easy to get wrong. I've done that too often.
    --
    vda