SubjectRe: why swap at all?
Buddy Lumpkin wrote:

> [...]

You also went on to say:
> This of course doesn't address the VM paging storms that happen due to large
> amounts of file system writes. Once the pagecache fills up, dirty pages must
> be evicted from the pagecache so that new pages can be added to the
> pagecache.

By and large, Linux doesn't reclaim dirty pages from the pagecache,
and it should not have paging storms due to large amounts of file
system writes.

If you had a workload where it does, we would be interested to see
it. I pointed out to you that this is what Bill was asking you to
file a detailed report about.

> I can't speak whether or not a case like this currently exists, but I know
> optimizing swap performance is a very complicated yet captivating subject
> that has consumed many a posts on this list. People have tried to optimize
> every part of the VM before, so I was just calling out what I believe to be
> a very reasonable and practical goal and put a little bit of substance
> around why I think it's practical.

Actually, during the 2.5 development cycle, swapping performance
got fairly neglected to the point where we were performing twice
as bad as 2.4 for most things. I (and others) recently improved
this because real people doing real things were complaining.

[snip rant]

> I can picture where this is going. Here is an interview between you and a
> popular Linux magazine in two years:
>

> Linux Magazine: You have contributed to linux for quite some time, correct?
>
> William: Oh yes, it is my hobby and occupation. I love my work.
>
> Linux Magazine: You have done all these wonderful things!
>
> William: Thanks, I am very proud of that
>
> Linux Magazine: Why did you make such and such decision that backfired?
>
> William: I don't have to answer that, I don't owe you anything and your not
> a paying customer.
>
> Give me a break.

What?? Give *you* a break? From a fictional interview you concocted?

Give me a break.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:03    [W:0.212 / U:0.440 seconds]