SubjectRE: why swap at all?
Date

>> That's true, but it's not a magical property of swap space
>> - extra physical
>> RAM would do more or less the same thing.
>>

> Well it is a magical property of swap space, because extra RAM
> doesn't allow you to replace unused memory with often used memory.

> The theory holds true no matter how much RAM you have. Swap can
> improve performance. It can be trivially demonstrated.

I bet you have demonstrated this. It strikes me of an observation that could
be made in a lab environment. But your failing to realize that:

1) you will fill physical memory with pages eventually or your not doing
work.

2) pages do not just silently move to the swap device. They move as a result
of a memory shortfall

3) once physical memory is full, file system I/O will only benefit from
reads that incur a minor fault. All other file system operations are bound
by the rate you can reclaim pages from physical memory.

4) non-filesystem backed pages are still effected the same way, nothing has
changed. When you run your next filesystem related operation, those pages
will be faulted into physical memory, and something will be evicted to it's
backing store (remember, memory is full).

--Buddy

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:03    [W:0.505 / U:0.764 seconds]