    SubjectRe: why swap at all?
    > > Come on, that is quite an exaggeration.  It can happen in a span of
    > > minutes -- after rsyncing a dir to a backup dir, for example, which
    > > fills ram rather quickly with cache I'll never use again. Or after
    > > configuring and compiling a package, which does the same thing.
    > >
    > rsync is something known to break the VM's use-once heuristics.
    > I'm looking at that.

    I have a question about that. I keep a debian mirror on one of my machines.
    there is over 70000 files. If I run find on that tree while it's
    downloading the file list, it doesn't take as long. I thought it would be
    nice if there was some way I could keep that in memory. The box has 256mb
    ram no swap. It is configured as diskless.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:03    [W:0.018 / U:26.264 seconds]