    SubjectRe: Slab cache reap and CPU availability
    Dimitri Sivanich <> wrote:
    > Hi all,
    > I have a fairly general question about the slab cache reap code.
    > In running realtime noise tests on the 2.6 kernels (spinning to detect periods
    > of CPU unavailability to RT threads) on an IA/64 Altix system, I have found the
    > cache_reap code to be the source of a number of larger holdoffs (periods of
    > CPU unavailability). These can last into the 100's of usec on 1300 MHz CPUs.
    > Since this code runs periodically every few seconds as a timer softirq on all
    > CPUs, holdoffs can occur frequently.
    > Has anyone looked into less interruptive alternatives to running cache_reap
    > this way (for the 2.6 kernel), or maybe looked into potential optimizations
    > to the routine itself?

    Do you have stack backtraces? I thought the problem was via the RCU
    softirq callbacks, not via the timer interrupt. Dipankar spent some time
    looking at the RCU-related problem but solutions are not comfortable.

    What workload is triggering this?

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:03    [W:0.025 / U:18.976 seconds]