    SubjectRe: ramdisk driver in 2.6.6 has a severe bug
    "Robert M. Stockmann" <> wrote:
    > Be aware of other problems when using the linux ramdisk driver,
    > loosing its contents. Especially the use of mkinitrd might result in
    > unexpected problems. googling for "kernel 2.6.6 ramdisk problem" shows lots
    > of people with problems mounting their root filesystems and loading modules
    > from ramdisk. Klaus Knopper (knoppix) is not amused, neither am i :)

    Well in that case perhaps something else broke. I've seen no such reports
    of recent regressions in the ramdisk driver.

    The two problems of which I am aware are:

    a) It loses its brains across umount. Seems that it's very rare that
    anyone actually cares about this, which is why it has not been fixed in
    well over a year.

    b) It loses data under heavy I/O loads. I _think_ this has been
    observed only on ppc64 and might be a cache writeback/invalidate thing.

    If there are new post-2.6.5 problems then I'm all ears.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:03    [W:0.020 / U:102.052 seconds]