    Subjectforcedeth breaks X in Debian-testing 2.4.25 on MSI K7N2 Delta-L mobo
        Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 21:08:06 +0200
    From: Carl-Daniel Hailfinger <c-d.hailfinger.kernel.2004@gmx.net>

    foner+x-forcedeth@media.mit.edu wrote:

    You could have googled for "forcedeth". The first hit would have given you
    all the information you need. Quoting from there:

    | Send any reports to linux-kernel or netdev@oss.sgi.com and CC:
    | Carl-Daniel Hailfinger <c-d.hailfinger.kernel.2004@gmx.net> to get
    | the remaining issues fixed.

    You know, I looked at that page at least 3 separate times on different
    days, and missed that paragraph -every- time. It also doesn't help
    that my next try was to google for
    forcedeth bug
    and
    forcedeth bugs
    but that page doesn't mention the word "bug" -anywhere- and hence
    fails to show up when someone is looking precisely for where to file
    bug reports. You might want to rephase "send any reports" to be
    'send any bug reports" or "send bugs and other reports" so that google
    can find the page when people are trying to report a bug.

    I'm not sure how to make the paragraph itself more prominent once
    someone lands on the page---all I know is that -I- couldn't find it
    until I knew it was there and searched for "netdev" via my browser.
    Dunno why; I'm not blind or illiterate... :)

    > obviously short-term address of one of its maintainers and an address
    > of another author gleaned a random mailing list. Doesn't it have its
    > own buglist? Lots of googling has failed to turn one up and its

    Forcedeth is integrated into current 2.4 and 2.6, so there is no point in
    setting up a dedicated mailing list for it.

    Okay.

    > I'm now in the state where I can reliably cause X to not start if
    > forcedeth is loaded, and vice versa. Logfiles for both cases are
    > appended below.
    >
    > Does anyone know of a workaround? It looks like forcedeth is doing
    > something fishy that's breaking X's VESA handling. Googling for

    forcedeth only accesses the nForce nic. If that confuses the VESA BIOS
    code, the bug most probably is in the BIOS itself.

    So do you (or anyone) have any suggestions for what to do? This is a
    reasonably new motherboard (I don't think it has any new firmware
    versions out yet) and this leaves me dead in the water---all I can do
    at this point is to just try the nVidia drivers and hope they work
    better than forcedeth. (And I'll have to make sure that forcedeth
    does -not- get loaded; I'm not yet sure how to ensure that.)

    I also don't -know- that's what's going on---all I know is the various
    errors (and eventual abort) I get from X if I try to start it up with
    forcedeth loaded.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:03    [W:0.022 / U:1.040 seconds]