    SubjectRe: [Fastboot] Re: [announce] kexec for linux 2.6.6
    Ulrich Drepper <> writes:

    > Eric W. Biederman wrote:
    > > As a first draft we should be able to use the standard ELF mechanisms
    > > for this. It is not like PIC shared libraries were new. Or is
    > > there some specific problem you are thinking of with respect to
    > > randomization?
    > The official kernel does not have vdso randomization. Ingo has a patch
    > for the Red Hat kernel which is used in the FC2 kernel. The patch
    > effectively only changes the location at which the vdso is mapped. It
    > does not change the vdso content. So the __kernel_vsyscall symbol in
    > the vdso's symbol table is not changed.
    > AT_SYSINFO is the right way to go forward but it is not directly
    > accessible to userlevel code. And it is no pointer which will make
    > architectures with function descriptors unhappy.

    It sounds like the vdso just needs to be treated as a prelinked
    vdso. You can find everything you need with AT_SYSINFO_EHDR.

    In the case of function descriptors they should be in a data segment
    that can get copied to another page, and corrected. Leaving the code
    segment at it's randomized location.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:03    [W:0.020 / U:385.744 seconds]