    SubjectRe: -mmX 4G patches feedback [numbers: how much performance impact]
    --On Thursday, April 08, 2004 23:59:46 +0200 Andrea Arcangeli <andrea@suse.de> wrote:

    > On Wed, Apr 07, 2004 at 11:24:16PM -0700, Martin J. Bligh wrote:
    >> Instead of fiddling with tuning knobs, I'd prefer to just do the UKVA
    >> idea I've proposed before, and let each process have their own pagetables
    >> mapped permanently ;-)
    >
    > that will have you pay for pte-highmem even in non-highmem machines.
    > I'm always been against your above idea ;) It can speedup mmap a bit for
    > some uncommon case but I believe your slowdown comes from the page faults after
    > exeve and startup not from mmap with the kernel compile, and worst of
    > all for non-highmem too (no sysctl or tuning knob can save you then).
    > Amittedly some mmap intensive workload can get a slight speedup compared
    > to pte-highmem but I don't think it's common and it has the potential of
    > slowing down the page faults especially in short lived tasks even w/o
    > highmem.

    You mean the page-faults for the pagetable mappings themselves? I wouldn't
    have thought that'd make an impact - at least I don't see how it could be
    worse than pte_highmem. And as we could make it conditional on highmem
    anyway (or even CONFIG_64GB, I'm pretty sure 4GB machines don't need it),
    I don't think it matters (ie you'd just turn it on instead of pte_highmem).

    But you're right, we do need to take that into consideration.

    > What I found attractive was the persistent kmap in userspace, but that
    > idea breaks with threading, and Andrew found another way that is to make
    > the page fault interruptible so it doesn't seem very worthwhile anymore
    > even w/o threading.

    Yeah, I've given up on that one ;-) The main use for it was pagetables
    anyway, and we can do that without the threading problems.

    M.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:02    [W:0.022 / U:120.740 seconds]