SubjectRe: dd PATCH: add conv=direct
> > On modern Linux, apparently the correct way to bypass the buffer cache
> > when writing to a block device is to open the block device with
> > O_DIRECT. This enables, for example, the user to more easily force a
> > reallocation of a single sector of an IDE disk with a media error
> > (without overwriting anything but the 1k "sector pair" containing the
> > error). dd(1) is convenient for this purpose, but is lacking a method
> > to force O_DIRECT. The enclosed patch adds a "conv=direct" flag to
> > enable this usage.
>
> This would be rather nice to have. You'll need to ensure that the data
> is page-aligned in memory.
>
> While you're there, please add an fsync-before-closing option.

Andrew, am I right that this is NOT needed for the proposed O_DIRECT
option, since open(2) says:
"The I/O is synchronous, i.e., at the completion of the read(2) or
write(2) system call, data is guaranteed to have been transferred."
so the write will block until data is physically on the disk.

Cheers,
Bruce

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:02    [W:0.117 / U:0.180 seconds]