    Subject[2.6.5] A bunch of various minor bugs not fixed since 2.6.4
    Hello again,

    Having got the hot and fresh patch, I played around with the new kernel
    to see what got fixed and what didn't. All in all, great work as always
    - but there are some minor annoyances which remain still. As last time,
    I'm posting my observations here in case the issues haven't been spotted

    1. 'make *config' fails with missing header files
    On my system I have got no symlinks from /usr/src/linux/include to
    /usr/include, as it has turned out their number would have to increase
    after switching to 2.6 - before only asm and linux symlinks were
    required for me, now there were more (eg. asm-generic and some others I
    don't remember) and as a result I began seeing lots of compilation
    failures. Eventually I've decided to always access current kernel's
    header files by adding
    CPATH="/lib/modules/`uname -r`/build/include"; export CPATH
    to my profile (by the way, maybe this procedure should be described
    somewhere in the README - in the old days one was told to create the
    asm, linux and scsi symlinks, now there is nothing). That solved
    everything... except one thing: trying to configure the kernel after
    patching it and changing the version number in the directory name. The
    effect can be seen below:

    # pwd
    # readlink /usr/src/linux
    # make oldconfig
    HOSTCC scripts/basic/fixdep
    In file included from /usr/include/bits/posix1_lim.h:126,
    from /usr/include/limits.h:144,
    from scripts/basic/fixdep.c:105:
    /usr/include/bits/local_lim.h:36:26: linux/limits.h: No such file or
    In file included from /usr/include/netinet/in.h:212,
    from scripts/basic/fixdep.c:107:
    /usr/include/bits/socket.h:305:24: asm/socket.h: No such file or
    scripts/basic/fixdep.c: In function `use_config':
    scripts/basic/fixdep.c:193: error: `PATH_MAX' undeclared (first use in
    this function)
    scripts/basic/fixdep.c:193: error: (Each undeclared identifier is
    reported only once
    scripts/basic/fixdep.c:193: error: for each function it appears in.)
    scripts/basic/fixdep.c:193: warning: unused variable `s'
    scripts/basic/fixdep.c: In function `parse_dep_file':
    scripts/basic/fixdep.c:289: error: `PATH_MAX' undeclared (first use in
    this function)
    scripts/basic/fixdep.c:289: warning: unused variable `s'
    make[1]: *** [scripts/basic/fixdep] Error 1
    make: *** [scripts_basic] Error 2

    While I know putting the version number in the kernel directory name is
    frowned upon by Linus, I am not the only person doing it this way.
    Besides, a solution for this particular problem seems to be trivial -
    adding '-I/path/to/kernel/include' to the primary Makefile will take
    care of the problem easily.

    2. Platform-specific 'asm' symlink doesn't get created by 'make *config'
    I have got no idea how this could have slipped everyone's attention, but
    here it is:

    # make menuconfig
    HOSTCC scripts/basic/fixdep
    In file included from /usr/include/netinet/in.h:212,
    from scripts/basic/fixdep.c:107:
    /usr/include/bits/socket.h:305:24: asm/socket.h: No such file or
    make[1]: *** [scripts/basic/fixdep] Error 1
    make: *** [scripts_basic] Error 2

    The same happens with oldconfig and config. I have to go to include and
    execute 'ln -s asm-i386 asm' by hand to be able to continue.

    3. 'make clean' seems to remove too much
    It seems some people cannot be satisfied... Before I complained about
    leftover junk, now I'm complaining about too few leftovers! Anyway, what
    goes away with 'clean' which I believe should only go away with
    - the include/asm symlink
    - include/linux/autoconf.h
    Maybe there are more, but these are the two I have already found to
    cause software compilation errors when not present.

    4. Floppy LED remains on whenever LILO boots the kernel quickly
    I have only got half a second delay between "LILO" and "Loading Linux",
    where "Linux" is the name of my primary kernel. My floppy driver is a
    module and isn't loaded by any of the startup scripts. Now, if I delay
    the boot (e.g. by typing in command-line parameters for LILO or the
    kernel) till after the floppy drive's LED has gone off (after the boot
    disk search - my boot sequence is A:,C:) everything works fine - but if
    I let the 2.6 kernel boot immediately, the LED remains on indefinitely
    (i.e. until the floppy module gets loaded or I reboot the system). Under
    2.4 with floppy support built as a module as well, the light is allowed
    to go off no matter how quickly I boot the kernel).

    5. "Default NLS charset" option is ignored for Joliet filesystems
    All my consoles are ISO-8859-2, so the NLS part of my .config looks like
    this (all the "not set" lines omitted for brevity):
    # Native Language Support

    The above works fine for vfat. However, whenever I try to mount an
    iso9660+Joliet filesystem without specifying the charset explicitly, I
    get "Unable to load NLS charset iso8859-1" in kernel logs.
    Please note this is NOT a 2.6-specific bug: I have no idea how long this
    bug has been here, but at least the 2.4.25 kernel exhibits the same

    6. (not really a bug) It would be nice if the ieee1394 subsystem got
    sysfs'ed soon...

    As always, please let me know if you need any further detail about what
    I have noticed or about my configuration.

    Keep on trucking, guys!

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:02    [W:0.039 / U:2.124 seconds]