    SubjectRe: ~500 megs cached yet 2.6.5 goes into swap hell
    On Fri, 2004-04-30 at 17:35, Clay Haapala wrote:
    > On Fri, 30 Apr 2004, Bart Samwel uttered the following:
    > >
    > > Thought experiment: what would happen when you set the hypothetical
    > > cpu-nice and io-nice knobs very differently?
    > >
    > Dunno why, but this talk of knobs makes me think of the "effects-mix"
    > knob on my bass amp that controls how much effects-loop signal is
    > mixed with the "dry" guitar signal.
    > Getting back to kernel talk, we have a "swappiness" knob, right?
    > Should there be, or is there already, a way to dynamically vary the
    > effect of swappiness [within a range], based on some monitored system
    > characteristics such as keyboard/mouse (HID) input or some other
    > identifiable profile? Perhaps this is similar to nice/fairness logic
    > in the process schedulers.

    This kind of thing is exactly what has been avoided by using
    interactivity boosts, and taking that into account in an "io-nice" value
    as well should solve that. Other profiles might be interesting though.

    Interactive tasks have a tendency to be interactive for a short while,
    and then be noninteractive for a long time. I'm thinking that it might
    be worthwhile to do something with that, i.e. to keep a bonus for "past
    interactivity" on some pages based on the fact that they were originally
    loaded by a still-existing process that was once/is marked as

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:02    [W:0.020 / U:3.948 seconds]