    SubjectRe: [2.6.4] Bad swap file entry, then kernel BUG at mm/shmem.c:475
    On Fri, Apr 02, 2004 at 08:38:09AM +0300, Denis Vlasenko wrote:
    > On Friday 02 April 2004 02:27, Chris Shoemaker wrote:
    > > and I haven't found evidence of off-by-bit errors. However, 2 days
    > > running memtest86 with all tests, gave no errors. (BTW, does anyone
    > > have a suggestion of a more rigorous general hardware stress-test for
    > > detecting flakiness?) If my hardware is bad it's pretty intermittent
    > cpuburn.

    Thanks for the tip. I ran burnBX, burnP5, and burnMMX overnight. No
    problems at all. But at least I'll know about cpuburn next time I want
    to test a CPU.

    > Also try to slightly underclock your hardware,
    > downgrade DMA mode, etc (although it seems you use SCSI...).

    Actually, the SCSI drives aren't active. root and swap are on a 13GB
    Fujitsu IDE drive. That got me thinking though... it seems maybe there
    is a common thread to my oopses. I think they tend to happen during
    disk i/o. Either I'm loading a program, or closing X or even during
    boot-up ( 3 times oopsed during boot now. ) -- all i/o activities.

    My disk is using udma2 mode, according to 'hdparm -I'. I guess it's
    getting set that way from the BIOS, which is set to Auto for the PIO/DMA
    mode. I'll follow your suggestion and try to force it lower in the
    BIOS, but first I checked more carefully over the CONFIG options related
    to IDE and found some things that maybe shouldn't have been set:

    As far as I can tell, I don't really need any of those. So, I
    disabled all of the above. I'm running with this new config for a few
    hours now. If it oopses, I'll try the lower dma mode.

    > vda

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:02    [W:0.044 / U:2.404 seconds]