    SubjectRe: ~500 megs cached yet 2.6.5 goes into swap hell
    Andrew wrote:
    > Even if the background activity was clamped to just a few megs
    > of cache you'll find that the seek activity is a killer, and
    > needs a limitation mechanism.

    True - the seek activity is another critical resource that would need to
    be throttled to keep updatedb/backup from interferring with my late
    night labours.

    Let's see, that's:
    1) cpu scheduling ticks
    2) memory for virtual address backing store
    3) memory for file related caching
    4) disk arm motion

    Hmmm ... actually not so much a numa-placement extension, but rather a
    CKRM opportunity.

    CKRM focuses on measuring and restraining how much of specified critical
    resources a task is using; numa placement on which cpus or memory nodes
    are allowed to be used at all.

    See further the CKRM thread of Shailabh Nagar, also running on lkml

    I won't rest till it's the best ...
    Programmer, Linux Scalability
    Paul Jackson <> 1.650.933.1373

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:02    [W:0.019 / U:13.096 seconds]