    SubjectRe: ~500 megs cached yet 2.6.5 goes into swap hell
    Andrew Morton writes:

    > OK, a bit of fiddling does indicate that if a file is present on both
    > client and server, and is modified on the client, the rsync client will
    > indeed touch the pagecache pages twice. Does this describe the files which
    > you're copying at all?

    The client/server thing is a bit misleading, what matters is the
    direction of the transfer. In the case I saw this morning, the G5 was
    the sender. In any case I was using the -W switch, which tells it not
    to use the rsync algorithm but just transfer the whole file. So I
    believe that rsync on the G5 side was just reading the file through

    I have also noticed similar behaviour after doing a bk pull on a
    kernel tree.

    The really strange thing is that the behaviour seems to get worse the
    more RAM you have. I haven't noticed any problem at all on my laptop
    with 768MB, only on the G5, which has 2.5GB. (The laptop is still on
    2.6.2-rc3 though, so I will try a newer kernel on it.)

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:02    [W:0.021 / U:2.812 seconds]