    SubjectRe: ~500 megs cached yet 2.6.5 goes into swap hell
    "Brett E." <> said on Wed, 28 Apr 2004 17:49:43 -0700:
    > Or how about "Use ALL the cache you want Mr. Kernel. But when I want
    > more physical memory pages, just reap cache pages and only swap out when
    > the cache is down to a certain size(configurable, say 100megs or
    > something)."

    Oh how dearly I would love that...

    I have a huge app that operates on a large file (but both are a bit
    smaller than available memory, by maybe a hundred or two megs - enough
    for to keep the entire working set in RAM, anyway). I create these
    large files over and over (on another host, so cache does absolutely
    no good whatsoever, since we are streaming a read once), but don't
    delete the old ones, so they all remain in cache. So when I close one
    copy of the app, and open up a new one on a different file, when it
    comes time to allocate those several hundred megs, it rather blows
    away my mozilla or my X session(! -- since I need it to display the
    results) or my window manager, and keeps growing that cache.

    TimC --
    When you are chewing on life's grissle, don't grumble - give a whistle!
    This'll help things turn out for the best
    Always look on the bright side of life

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:02    [W:0.050 / U:14.680 seconds]