SubjectRe: [patch] 2.6.6-rc2 Allow architectures to reenable interrupts on contended spinlocks
On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 21:49:52 -0700,
Andrew Morton <> wrote:
>Keith Owens <> wrote:
>> Enable interrupts while waiting for a disabled spinlock, but only if
>> interrupts were enabled before issuing spin_lock_irqsave(). It makes a
>> measurable difference to interrupt servicing on large systems.
>Do you know which are the offending locks?

Workload dependent. We already service interrupts while waiting for a
non-disabled spinlock. The patch allows a cpu to do some useful work
and service interrupts while waiting for disabled spinlocks as well.

>How much difference, and how large are the systems?

From memory (September 2003) 3-5% improvement on an AIM7 run, with 64