SubjectRe: swsusp: fix error handling in "not enough swap space"
Pavel Machek wrote:

>Hi!

>>>Can you try CONFIG_PREEMPT=n?
>>>

>>Funny, now it doesn't run BUG(), but, instead I have two way behavior.
>>Either he is complaining that bash
>>will not stop !! or that there is not enough pages free. Both wrong and
>>bizzareus. This really needs fixing before 2.6.6 is out (imo).
>>

>Dump stack at time when process refuses to stop, and see why it can't
>be stopped. Then fix that :-).

Quite easy to say. I don't really understeand all changes that 've been
done over mm between 2.6.6-rc2-bk2 and 2.6.5.
But from my tests today, it looks like processes locked (?) in kernel
are not getting freezed.

Simple example. Mount something over nfs, than disconnect your network
cable, and inside that dir run ls.
Kernel will not be able to freeze bash !!, obvioulsy bug. I'll try to
investigate it my self, but if someone can get with fast explanation, to
enlight me problem, that would be nice.
Nfs is maybe a tougth example. Try i.e. dd bs=1 (to make it slower)
if=/proc/kmem of=/dev/null,
or even open mc, and press F3 on /proc/kmem, providing that your
machines is slow. At that point, MC on my computer eats about 900MB of
swap ! (I have only 128MB of ram, so it's quite strange). Anyways,
echo "4" >/proc/acpi/sleep, and kernel will not be able to freeze it.

--
GJ