    SubjectRe: File system compression, not at the block layer
    On Fri, 23 Apr 2004, Timothy Miller wrote:

    > Joel Jaeggli wrote:

    > >>Buy more disks and only use a small portion of each for all but the
    > >>most infrequently accessed data.
    > >

    > > faster drives. The biggest disks at this point are far slower that the
    > > fastest... the average read service time on a maxtor atlas 15k is like
    > > 5.7ms on 250GB western digital sata, 14.1ms, so that more than twice as
    > > many reads can be executed on the fastest disks you can buy now... of
    > > course then you pay for it in cost, heat, density, and controller costs.
    > > everthing is a tradeoff though.
    > I had this idea of packing a bunch of those really tiny Toshiba
    > quarter-sized drives and some sort of RAID0 controller into a box the
    > size of a 3.5" hard drive.

    they're deathly slow... I'll send you an hdparm from an 4GB ibm microdrive
    the next time I have it mounted...

    Joel Jaeggli Unix Consulting
    GPG Key Fingerprint: 5C6E 0104 BAF0 40B0 5BD3 C38B F000 35AB B67F 56B2

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:02    [W:0.021 / U:2.580 seconds]