SubjectRe: System hang with ATI's lousy driver

Jan De Luyck wrote:
> On Tuesday 20 April 2004 21:28, Joel Jaeggli wrote:
>

>>kernel drm + xfree86 driver will actually provide accelerated opengl
>>support in Xwindows albiet without quite as many hardware features as the
>>proprietary driver on all the rv2xx chipsets including the 9000 but not
>>on the later models.
>>
>>kernel drm & radeonfb have been reported to not play very well with each
>>other in other venues. vesafb is known to work in this situation though.
>

> I have that particular setup running quite satisfactory now for a few months,
> using a Radeon 9000 Mobile chip. No problems at all.

I discovered why I thought the Mesa driver wasn't working. It turns out
that kscreensaver is broken. If I use xscreensaver, or the screen saver
starts from Gnome, or I run the OpenGL program stand-alone, everything
works fine. But if I use KDE's screen saver program or it starts
automatically in KDE, OpenGL screen savers get all flickery, as if
double-buffering had been disabled.

Apparently, this is a long out-standing bug in KDE.

The only bit of this that is not off-topic is that ATI's proprietary
drivers are broken, because they don't get along with radeonfb.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:02    [W:1.027 / U:0.076 seconds]