    SubjectRe: The missing RAID level

    HT> So, one very interesting possibility would be to have an
    HT> extra RAID level that would do the following:

    HT> assuming that you connect 5+1 partitions, then you get 5 md
    HT> partitions, not a single one, with the following properties:

    HT> . any read to mdX goes straight forward to reading the
    HT> underlying partition.

    HT> . any write goes staight forward to writting the underlying
    HT> partition, but also updates the parity on the extra
    HT> partition.

    It seems to me that you can create a single RAID-4 device out of
    5 data and 1 parity disks, and run device mapper on top of that
    RAID-4 device, picking every 6 chunk worth of data and
    collecting into a device (totalling 6 devices). The first 5
    such device mapper devices would end up with blocks from the
    underlying 5 data disks. I do not know offhand if such a dm
    target already exists, though.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:02    [W:0.036 / U:15.896 seconds]