SubjectRe: [lhcs-devel] Re: CPU Hotplug broken -mm5 onwards
On Mon, Apr 19, 2004 at 01:34:14PM +1000, Nick Piggin wrote:
> I think a rwsem might be a good idea anyway, because
> sched_migrate_task can end up being called pretty often with
> balance on exec and balance on clone. The semaphore could easily
> place undue serialisation on that path.

I found that r/w sem does not help here ..It can still lead to deadlocks.
One example I hit is :

cpu_up takes write lock, sends out CPU_UP_PREPARE notification. As part
of it, many do kthread_create, which uses workqueue. The work function
is never processed because keventd would be blocked on a previous
work function, waiting for hotplug sem in exec path.

So, as Rusty said, I think we really need to consider removing
lock_cpu_hotplug from sched_migrate_task. AFAICS that lock
was needed to prevent adding tasks to dead cpus. The same
can be accomplished by removing lock_cpu_hotplug from sched_migrate_task
and adding a cpu_is_offline check in __migrate_task.
This will eliminate all the deadlocks I have been hitting.

> Can we arrange some of these checks to disappear when HOTPLUG_CPU
> is not set? For example, make cpu_is_offline only valid to call for
> CPUs that have been online sometime, and can evaluate to 0 if
> HOTPLUG_CPU is not set?

I think this is already being done in include/linux/cpu.h

--

Thanks and Regards,
Srivatsa Vaddagiri,

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:02    [W:0.568 / U:0.816 seconds]