    SubjectRe: vmscan.c heuristic adjustment for smaller systems
    Marc Singer wrote:
    > On Sat, Apr 17, 2004 at 04:51:51PM -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:
    >>Marc Singer <> wrote:
    >>>I've watched the vmscan code at work. The memory pressure is so high
    >>>that it reclaims mapped pages zealously. The program's code pages are
    >>>being evicted frequently.
    >>Which tends to imply that the VM is not reclaiming any of that nfs-backed
    > I don't think that's the whole story. They question is why.

    swappiness is pretty arbitrary and unfortunately it means
    different things to machines with different sized memory.

    Also, once you *have* gone past the reclaim_mapped threshold,
    mapped pages aren't really given any preference above
    unmapped pages.

    I have a small patchset which splits the active list roughly
    into mapped and unmapped pages. It might hopefully solve your
    problem. Would you give it a try? It is pretty stable here.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:02    [W:0.021 / U:11.776 seconds]