    SubjectRe: Does OSS sound work in 2.6 or not?
    Date
    Andre Tomt wrote:

    > OSS works just fine here in 2.6, on all the machines I have. I don't use
    > ALSA's OSS emulation layer, just the "native" OSS thats in the kernel.
    > It's used just like in 2.4, same module names and all. No black magic
    > involved.

    Let me provide a bit more detail. I have machines with "Vortex
    boomerang" sound cards. I have a 2.4 driver for same, for OSS, under
    NDA. In 2.6 those cards appear to be supported in ALSA, but using the
    OSS emulation everything seems to work except there isn't any sound.

    I've had several people tell me that they are using OSS/2.6 without the
    ALSA utilities. I just want to know if that's possible or not, the
    people with the machines don't want ALSA for reasons I would call
    pigheaded stupidity if they weren't paying me to say "personal
    preference" ;-)

    In any case, that's the question, can I get there from here? I can't use
    just OSS, the Vortex drivers are in ALSA.

    --
    -bill davidsen (davidsen@tmr.com)