SubjectMemory image save/restore
Hello all,

I have been trying to implement some sort of save/restore kernel
memory image for the linux kernel (x86 only right now), without much
success. Let me explain the situation:

I have a hardware device that I can generate interrupts with. I also
have a machine with 512M of memory, and I am passing the kernel the
command line mem=256M. My idea is to generate an interrupt with the
hardware device, and then inside of the interrupt handler make a copy of
the entire contents of RAM into the unused upper 256M of memory; later
on, with another interrupt, I would like to restore that previously
saved memory image. This way we can go "back in time", similar to what
software suspend is doing, but without as many constraints (i.e. we have
a hardware interrupt to work with, we reserved the same amount of
physical memory to use, etc.). Before I went much further, I figured I
would ask if anyone on the list has tried this, and if there are any
reasons why this is not possible.

Thank you,
Chris Lalancette

P.S. If you respond to the list, please CC me; I am not subscribed

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:02    [W:0.052 / U:0.076 seconds]