    SubjectRe: [lockup] Re: objrmap-core-1 (rmap removal for file mappings to avoid 4:4 in <=16G machines)
    On Tue, Mar 09, 2004 at 05:07:09PM +0100, Ingo Molnar wrote:
    > * Andrea Arcangeli <> wrote:
    > > > or run the attached test-mmap2.c code, which simulates a very small DB
    > > > app using only 1800 vmas per process: it only maps 8 MB of shm and
    > > > spawns 32 processes. This has an even more lethal effect than the
    > > > previous code.
    > >
    > > this use more cpu than the previous one, but no other differences.
    > how fast is the system you tried this on? If it's faster than the 500

    xeon 4-way 2.5ghz

    > MHz box i tried it on then please try the attached test-mmap3.c. (which
    > is still not doing anything extreme.)

    it's not attached, but I guess I can hack the mmap2 myself too by just
    increasing the number of tasks and number of mmaps ;).

    But before doing more tests I think I will finish my anon_vma work and
    the objrmap optimizations, then I can concentrante on the testing. At
    the moment we already know various bits that can be optimized, so I
    prefer to get those implemented first.

    another important thing is that we've a reschedule point for every
    different page we unmap, not sure if it's the case right now (I didn't
    concentrate much on the callers yet).

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:01    [W:0.020 / U:19.924 seconds]